The HERO coach assists the member(s) by means of assessing health needs, developing personalized health plan, monitoring the implementation process, and evaluating the results. These services are provided through means of guidance, motivation, trouble shooting strategies, and the needed health resources for achieving the participant’s well-being goals.
Characteristics of health coaches
- Listen to the participants needs
- Communicate clearly and effectively
- Motivate/support/guide participant while achieving their health goals
- Provide knowledge of health education through health resources
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and optimism
- Encourage positive health changes and behaviors
- Display ethical professionalism
- Accepting and respectful
- Maintain boundaries by coaching within the scope of health coaching
Coaching health behavior change strategies include:
- Assess health needs of the participant.
- May provide referrals to trained health care providers.
- Assist the participant in developing personalized plans to address health needs.
- Allow participants to discuss their particular health goals, what issues they want to overcome, and discover their form of needed support.
- Guide participant in setting SMART goals. (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely)
- Offer new ideas/options for the planning and implementation of health behaviors.
- Monitor and support participant’s implementation of personalized health plan.
- Provide direction to health resources to attain health education and professional health assistance.
- Informative and motivational public speaking for group presentations.
- Allow participants to empower themselves by taking an active role in achieving their health needs.
Health coaches do not:
- Prescribe medication/over the counter supplements
- Develop treatment plans
- Provide psychotherapy
- Direct specific nutritional choices
- Force health educational content or health behavior actions
- Select participants based on race, gender, sexuality, disabilities, etc
- Breach confidentiality
- Impose religious doctrines, ideology, or personal bias